KEEP abreast of the local Central Coast football scene with a regular review on CCMariners.com.au
2013 CENTRAL COAST PREMIER FOOTBALL LEAGUES - ROUND 2 (14 APRIL)
FIRST GRADE SCORES AVOCA 5 UMINA 2 WYOMING 5 GOSFORD CITY 3 BERKELEY VALE 4 KINCUMBER 0 EAST GOSFORD 1 KANWAL 0 KILLARNEY DISTRICT 1 BUDGEWOI 1
SUMMARY • After a stuttering start to the 2013 CountryNet Football League season defending premiers, Wyoming, and defending league champions, Berkeley Vale, have each come up with big wins over the promoted teams, Gosford City and Kincumber in the second round.
• Wyoming-s exciting young striker, Benji Gossen, made the most of a late call-up scoring four goals in his first grade debut as Wyoming cruised to a comfortable 5-1 win over Gosford City at Gavenlock Oval. Michael Payne opened the scoring in the 13th minute followed by two goals in as many minutes by Gossen who completed his hat-trick just before the break. Gosford hit back early in the second half with Jared McNee scoring and it took until three minutes before full-time for Gossen to finish the scoring.
• Berkeley Vale were too strong for newly-promoted Kincumber winning 4-0 in their match at Frost Reserve. It was Kincumber-s first local competition match of the season having chosen not to enter the pre-season CountryNet Cup competition and then being washed out in their scheduled Round 1 match against Budgewoi. Berkeley Vale took the lead midway through the first half with Corey Atkinson getting his first top grade goal, but the game was still in the balance at the 70th minute when the Wombats piled on three quick goals from Tyler Burns, a penalty by Mitchell Pont and a second to Atkinson.
• Avoca confirmed that they-d be serious contenders in 2013 with a 5-3 win over Umina in their match at Erina High School. As they-d done the previous week against Wyoming Avoca took an early 2-0 lead with a penalty to Nathan Smith followed by a goal to James Steer. Umina responded with a penalty to Jason Stafford just before half-time then equalised early in the second term through Josh Schumann. Avoca then rallied and settled the match with three goals in a 15-minute period to Michael Simmons, Lewis Murphy and a second to Steer before a late consolation goal to Matt Hogan.
• Killarney District and Budgewoi fought out a tight 1-1 draw in their match at EDSACC North. Jared Reed gave the home team a 1-0 lead just before half-time. Last season-s Premier League leading scorer Jack North, on debut for Budgewoi, equalised with a goal 15 minutes from full-time.
• East Gosford snatched a last gasp win over Kanwal with James Wain scoring the only goal in the 89th minute.
NEXT WEEK - COUNTRYNET FOOTBALL LEAGUE ROUND 3 UMINA vs. KANWAL - Col Gooley Field KILLARNEY DISTRICT vs. KINCUMBER - EDSACC North GOSFORD CITY vs. AVOCA - Gavenlock Oval EAST GOSFORD vs. BERKELEY VALE - Hylton Moore Oval BUDGEWOI vs. KANWAL - Budgewoi FC
DIVISION ONE RESULTS THE ENTRANCE 3 TUGGERAH 3 TOUKLEY 4 KARIONG 3 TERRIGAL 0 OURIMBAH 0 WYONG 1 WOY WOY 0 SOUTHERN-ETTALONG Bye
SEA-FM WOMENS LEAGUE RESULTS BUDGEWOI 2 THE ENTRANCE 1 WYONG 3 AVOCA 1 KILLARNEY DISTRICT 4 UMINA 1 KARIONG 4 GOSFORD CITY 1
2013 CENTRAL COAST PREMIER FOOTBALL LEAGUES - ROUND 1 (7 APRIL)
FIRST GRADE SCORES UMINA 1 BERKELEY VALE 0 AVOCA 2 WYOMING 2 GOSFORD CITY 2 KANWAL 2 KILLARNEY DISTRICT 1 EAST GOSFORD 0 BUDGEWOI vs KINCUMBER - Postponed
SUMMARY • The 2013 CountryNet Football League (previously the Mens Premier League) has kicked off Central Coast Football-s 50th anniversary year with two draws and two one-nil wins in the four matches that were played in what is promising to be the most even competition in years. Doyalson and The Entrance were relegated after filling the two bottom places in last year-s league and have been replaced by Kincumber, back in the top division after just one year in Division One, and Gosford City, back for the first time since 2009.
• In the Match of the Round at Umina Oval the home team defeated defending league champions Berkeley Vale 1-0. In an evenly contested match the only goal came from a corner with Umina-s Todd Beckman scoring midway through the second half.
• Defending premiers Wyoming were forced to come from two goals down to draw their match against Avoca 2-2 at Erina High School. With six changes from the team that played in their 2012 grand final winning team Wyoming struggled for cohesion in the first half against a young, enthusiastic and fit Avoca team under new coach Tony Gerasimou. After dominating for long periods Avoca struck twice within five minutes late in the first half, firstly through Antonio Pace and then Jake Elder taking a well-deserved 2-0 lead into the break. Wyoming struck back with goals to grand final hero, Michael Payne, in the 53th and 75th minute. Both teams then wasted a number of late opportunities to take the match.
• It was a similar situation in the match between Gosford City and Kanwal at Gavenlock Oval with Kanwal taking a 2-0 lead to the half-time break through Brett Adcock and Trent Lumby. Gosford pulled a goal back in the 60th minute from striker Marc Tarring and then equalised when Jeff Hall converted from the penalty spot.
• After a disappointing pre-season, last year-s runners-up Killarney District were able to defeat East Gosford 1-0 at EDSACC North despite playing for 75 minutes with ten men following the sending off of Blake Hormann. The only goal in the match came in the second minute from ex-Wyoming winger Blake Silvers.
• The scheduled Saturday night match between Budgewoi and Kincumber was postponed due to overnight rain on Friday and will be replayed midweek on a date to be determined.
NEXT WEEK - FOOTBALL LEAGUE ROUND 2 KINCUMBER vs. BERKELEY VALE - Frost Reserve AVOCA vs. UMINA - Erina High School KILLARNEY DISTRICT vs. BUDGEWOI - EDSACC North GOSFORD CITY vs. WYOMING - Gavenlock Oval EAST GOSFORD vs. KANWAL - Hylton Moore Oval
DIVISION ONE RESULTS TOUKLEY 3 TUGGERAH 1 TERRIGAL 6 WOONGARRAH 1 SOUTHERN-ETTALONG 3 WOY WOY 0 THE ENTRANCE Bye
SEA-FM WOMENS LEAGUE RESULTS KINCUMBER 5 WYOMING 2 KILLARNEY DISTRICT 6 WYONG 0 THE ENTRANCE 3 KANWAL 3 BUDGEWOI 4 GOSFORD CITY 1 AVOCA 1 KARIONG 0